Friday, February 5, 2016

What Little Birdies Tell Me

Although I've only recently started using Twitter for professional purposes, I've been a user since mid-2009 and have always recognized it's value as a news service tailored to my individual interests. Initially, I was overwhelmed by the number of posts flowing into my timeline, feeling compelled to read each one and explore every link in an attempt to "stay caught up." After drinking from the fire hose for a few weeks, I became more selective about what I read and what I might use in my everyday life.

Below are some great resources and tweets I've recently plucked from my Twitter feed. My best advice to you, like the proverbial grizzly bear faced with a barrage of leaping salmon, is once you get one that matters to you, step out of the stream and enjoy; enough is a feast:

Say what you will about Jerry Blumengarten's website or in your face profile images, but I turn to the Cybraryman when I'm searching for relevant library, technology or current events topics to write about and promote in my library. This installment on STEM, STEAM, STREAM and STEMx was rife with inspirational resources for my collaborative STEAM research project with a 5th grade music class, 11th and 12th grade Earth Science students and some Art kids from my high school.
I always enjoy Richard Byrne's FreeTech4Teachers blog, but particularly liked this post about digital tools useful for creating whiteboard videos. We'll be expected to make our own RSA/Commoncraft-style videos soon. This could come in handy if my next grad class meeting gets snowed out and I'm forced to ditch my shower board and dry-erase markers for my iPad instead!

Kathy Schrock is a renowned ed tech leader and as an educator with a penchant for research and inquiry, she's been a go-to resource for much of the information literacy, instructional resources and strategies used in my library lesson planning. After recently discovering the SAMR model in grad class, the concepts of how to truly enhance and transform learning with technology has woven its way into my thinking and discussions with teachers and students. Responsible tech integration, carefully supported with purpose and meaning, is the key to unlocking a lot of potential learning opportunities for kids to showcase their talents.
Ok, so this may not qualify as an article, but I certainly find it to be a thought-provoking tweet. After a brief back-and-forth on Twitter and Skype call with my grad class, I immediately considered New Jersey-based "work in progress" teacher-librarian, Elissa Malespina, to be an integral member of my Twitter PLN. This tweet was particularly thought-provoking for me, because in spite of all the professional literature I've read and librarian/ed tech conferences I've attended, I've never really paid much attention to leadership. I've always felt that title was reserved for 092s (that's a school administrator, to you) and Board of Education employees. I realize that in my role as a librarian, I'm primed to become a grassroots leader for technology in my own school; raising the ed tech flag high and blaring its horn for all to see and hear. Inspiring stuff, huh? :)

3 comments:

  1. Mike, Thanks for including my resources in your post! I appreciate the kind works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post of resources! Thanks for the share Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both Kathy & Robyn! Merely a humble steward and trying to do my librarian's duty by disseminating these great resources & strategies created by the REAL heroes :)

    ReplyDelete