Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Skyping with the Stars

Last night, my ed tech grad class had the pleasure of Skyping with a renowned, teacher-librarian/rockstar from NJ, Elissa Malespina, whom I've recently joined up with as a member of my Personal Learning Network (PLN) on Twitter. I wanted to know more about how librarians can become more involved with co-teaching and implementing technology in their schools. Conveniently, Elissa's "mantra" says it all.

To further add to her street cred, check out the great quote emblazoned on her coffee mug, as she addressed our class from her Jersey homestead, taking time away from her family, and an apparently thirsty dog, just to share her thoughts with us:

"They (librarians) are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them." -- Michael Moore, American Filmmaker

            

I facilitated our conversation with a few general, guiding questions about Elissa's experiences with librarianship. For example, what can you tell teachers about the benefits of collaborating with their school librarian? How do video (digital storytelling) and social media (Twitter) play a part in her role as a school librarian? What advice could she give to encourage students to take risks using educational technology; or teachers?

Her responses were both practical and inspiring. Elissa said that any good librarian should be able to co-teach with students. I was grateful for this comment, as it made me reflect on my own co-teaching practices and sometimes tenuous relationships with teachers and students in my own school. She also encouraged tech leaders to make participation in Web 2.0 experiences and sharing their work online an opt-out clause of their school or district's Acceptable or Responsible Use Policy (AUP, RUP). I think the experience of sharing and writing for a wider audience would help our students become better digital citizens, and maybe even improve their literacy skills in the process.

Possibly my favorite response from Elissa came from our question about risk-taking, encouraging teachers to let their kids know: "I'm learning this, too. We're learning this together, and it's not gonna stop us from doing it."

It's both empowering and scary for teachers to think of relinquishing that all-coveted "control" we have, or think we have: over ourselves, our students, their perceptions of us and everyone's level of ability. I think the most powerful tool in overcoming the fear associated with using educational technology is a positive, open mind, and accepting failure as an opportunity to make mistakes and try again; to be resilient and to learn.

I'm truly grateful to have had Elissa join our class, and for the opportunity to chat with these amazing mentors and like-minded people. I'd be grateful for your thoughts as well; what's inspired you to think differently and take risks, or who is your rockstar in education?

The Boss seems to be on board; are you?

2 comments:

  1. Wow...way back in '07 I answered that question from someone else:
    http://goo.gl/M4T7zL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professor George sounds like a remarkable man; almost as remarkable that he commented on your post 7 YEARS later! Even after 5 years on the job, I still feel I'm only left "hoping" I've made an impact as substantial as the one your professor made on you, or that you felt you've made on your students.

    ReplyDelete